Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Getting to Japan!

Moving is never easy. Moving across the world with two kids under 4 is pretty much a terrifying experience. Luckily we had the military to tell us what to do so it wasn't too terrible. They send a moving company to pack up all of our stuff and get it to Japan so all we have to worry about is our 8 checked bags, 4 carry-ons, and 4 personal bags. Yes, it took that many bags to get us to Japan. No, I will never pack that much stuff again. It was so nice to have other people pack and move furniture for us. I don't know if I can ever go back to the renting a U-Haul and packing ourselves.  This is our house on moving day:
Look at all those nice boxes. They are all the same size and everything. (They even had a special box for our TV)
After we got our house cleaned out we moved to a hotel for a week (longest week of my life) before we got on an airplane to Japan. We left Killeen, Texas on a Wednesday and arrived in Japan on a Friday. You know the flight is long when after the 8th movie finishes you think you should be landing and you don't want them to start another movie, then they do. I wanted to get off that plane so badly! Carson didn't sleep at all on the 10 hour flight out of Seattle. Dylan and I got a small nap. Once we landed in Japan there was supposed to be a ride waiting for us to take us to Camp Zama. With standard Army tradition, no one knew we were there and we had to wait two days until someone could come and get us. We were glad we got to spend more time at Yakoda Air Base instead of at Camp Zama because Zama is tiny and has hardly anywhere to eat. As you all know, food is important to me and at Yakoda there was at least a Chili's. While we were at Camp Zama I took a few pictures of the playground and the surrounding area. I also took some pictures on the way to the airport to come to Misawa. 








It was a little weird driving on the wrong side of the road. 




First view of Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo



On the bridge! 





After we crossed the bridge we went to the airport and got on a Japanese flight to Misawa where this time people were actually waiting for us. I will say that even though we don't speak any Japanese and can't say Domo Arigato without breaking out in song, we managed to find our way through the airport and bought lunch and even got on the right plane! The Japanese people are so nice and I would love to live here again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment